As the world migrates towards a sustainable future, the best cement for construction has consequentially turned out to be green cement. Yes, thanks to years of research and development, cement has turned out to be a sustainable offering as well, with green cement emerging as one of the most promising candidates.
In this blog, we would be taking a look at the role that the best quality cement plays when it comes to ensuring sustainability across a wide spectrum of applications, what green cement actually stands for, and what are some of the advantages that it manages to bring to the table. So, let’s get started.
Sustainability of cement.
In 2023, the construction sector emerged to be one of the most polluting sectors out there, with a massive amount of carbon being generated in manufacturing the cement that is used to build massive skyscrapers, bridges, cities, etc. Portland Pozzolana Cement, commonly abbreviated as PPC, proved to be a game-changer in this respect, and with the minimal amount of carbon emissions created during their manufacturing process, they quickly went on to become the first choice of environment-conscious individuals.
Green cement takes the entire carbon-emission gradient a bit further, as the processes involved here are carbon-negative for the most part, with industrial residue turning out to be the prime ingredient. It is widely estimated that an obnoxiously-high 8% of carbon dioxide emissions are generated by the cement manufacturing industry, a fact that green cement can certainly change.
Blast furnace slag and fly ash have turned out to be some of the most common implements that go into producing green cement, and with a 40% reduction in carbon emissions, this definitely makes a lot of sense if environmental compatibility is to be considered.
Applicability of green cement.
When it comes to how green cement can be integrated into the overall construction ecosystem, the procedures don’t have to be highly difficult. Due to the fact that they feature a massive tensile strength and extremely low porosity, megaprojects are one of the main places where they can be employed. Moreover, green cement can be mixed with other forms of conventional cement as well, thereby forming blended cement in the process.
Advantages of using green cement.
If you are looking to switch to green cement from the conventional materials that are commonly used regularly, there are certain advantages that you would be gaining massively. Let us take a brief look at some of the main ones there.
- Green cement and blended cement are manufactured by involving waste materials like fly ash and slag, and these are conventionally treated as waste materials that are commonly thrown out into the environment. The fact that green types of cement use them helps with effective waste management.
- Since a lot of materials are commonly recycled while manufacturing this form of cement, the overall carbon emission levels are brought down as well. This helps clear up the cement industry from one of the biggest pollutants that it is responsible for creating.
- Cost-effectiveness is a major USP for any cement in the Indian construction industry, and this is a metric that greatly supports green and blended options as well. A large number of raw materials that go into creating this cement are basically residues that are generated by other processes, a fact that helps bring down the final price of each bag of cement. Such economies help make this the best cement for construction in 2023.
- The manufacturing processes of green cement are quite a bit different from what we observe when compared to conventional cement. Here, technological integration is one of the key factors that stand out, and this is something that drives down the overall emission levels as well. Conventional cement uses traditional processes and methodologies, thereby making the overall process carbon-intensive, a fact that is working against them in this day and age.
- Green cement features significantly higher levels of tensile strength when compared to conventional offerings, thereby making them suitable for heavy constructions. This ensures that the buildings stay sturdy for longer, thereby cutting down on maintenance costs and improving safety as well.
- Acid rain is a major challenge that buildings must deal with, and this is an issue that is getting exacerbated with each passing day. Green concrete is chemically designed to be able to defend the structures against the negative effects of acid rain, thereby boosting longevity and safety.
Combined with blended cement, green cement has managed to conquer the industry, and the aforementioned factors have played a major role in making that happen. If you are looking for the best quality cement, this might just be it!
Green cement has turned out to be the best cement for construction in this day and age, and there are no two ways about the same. As a builder, you would come across several brands and offerings in this sector, but a quick search online should help you zero in on some of the top options there are.